This is community banking
D. L. Evans, our founder, was born in 1854 in Brigham City, Utah and was taught by his widowed pioneer mother, Winnefred (Gwen) Lloyd Roberts Evans, the importance of industry and hard work. His first job as a lad was the daily herding of their neighbor's dairy cows on the rugged Utah mountainsides. In 1871 he moved with his mother and two younger brothers to Malad Valley in Idaho, where they homesteaded a 160 acre farm, breaking out the sagebrush by hand with grubbing hoes and then planting crops. Through the encouragement of their mother, D. L. and his younger brother, L. L., attended the local pioneer schools, were fine students, and eventually both qualified to attend the University of Deseret in Salt Lake City, Utah. In their two years there, they earned their teaching certificates and thereafter returned to Idaho where they taught for several years at Malad, Samaria and Weston village schools.
Being bright, energetic, and possessing the pioneer entrepreneurial spirit, the brothers formed a close family partnership that over the years led to the development of two Evans Cooperative Mercantile Stores, one in Malad City and the other in American Falls, several ranches and farms, and investments in thirteen pioneer Idaho and Utah banks. Both brothers were public spirited and served in numerous local public leadership positions. Both served in the Idaho Legislature during Idaho's early statehood years. D. L. was first elected to the Idaho Territorial Legislature in 1882 at 28 years of age and became the Speaker of the Idaho House of Representatives in 1899.
Small business beginnings
A pioneering group of southern Idaho businessmen founded D.L. Evans Bank on September 15, 1904, in Albion, Idaho. Located in a one-story frame building, it was Cassia County's first bank. State Senator D. L. Evans called the first stockholders meeting to order and the stockholders elected the Bank's first directors and officers. D. L. Evans was elected President; A. Lounsbury, Vice President; and J. A. Givens, Treasurer and Cashier. The directors were D. L. Evans, L. L. Evans, and W. G. Jenkins, all of Malad City, Idaho, and Judge Drew W. Standrod of Pocatello, Idaho. The Bank was capitalized with $25,000.
Communities developed in the following years, and with more people, the demand for bank services grew. In 1910, the Bank moved to a two story stone building in Albion, where it stayed for 60 years. The recession of the 1930s closed most banks in Idaho, but D.L. Evans Bank survived, continuing to provide customers with essential services. In 1970 the Albion branch moved to its current location, a modern building on the corner of Market and Main Street. (The Bank has since moved its headquarters to Burley, Idaho.)
The Burley branch opened in 1979, with John V. Evans, Jr., a great-grandson of the founder, as Manager. On December 31, 1986, he became Chief Executive Officer and announced that his father, then Governor of Idaho, John V. Evans Sr., would join the Bank as President after his term as Governor was completed. John, Sr., fondly known as "the Gov," held public office for more than 35 years. He ended his second term as Governor on January 5, 1987, having held the office for 10 years. His background in banking, farming, ranching, and government helped him lead D.L. Evans Bank into the 21st century. John V. Evans, Sr., served as President of D.L. Evans Bank until his passing in July 2014.
From 1904 to 1986, the Evans and Jenkins families of Malad were the Bank's principal stockholders. D. L. Evans, Jr., G. L. Jenkins, and McKinley L. Jenkins were principal officers for over 60 years, from about 1915 until their deaths. After World War II, Roland T. Evans became Chairman of the Board; Don S. Evans, Sr. became chairman in 1976 and served as chairman until his passing in April 2016. In 1986, the Evans family purchased the Jenkins' interest and assumed ownership and control of the Bank.
Looking to the future
Today, two generations of the Evans family participate in the Bank's daily operations and on the board of directors. John V. Evans, Jr., President and Chief Executive Officer leads the Bank with the rest of the Executive Management: John V. Evans, III, Executive Vice President Chief Credit Officer; Jim Evans, Executive Vice President; Brenda Sanford, Chief Administrative Officer; and Curtis Smith, Chief Financial Officer. The current Board of Directors includes Chairman Don S. Evans, Jr., John V. Evans, Jr., Larry L. Evans, Paula D. Evans, Martha E. Gilgen, Glen R. Kunau, Susan D. Evans-Scarlett, David L. Evans, IV, and Don S. Evans, III.
D.L. Evans Bank has expanded tremendously. We maintain the hometown community bank spirit as we grow. The Bank has grown more than $2.1 billion in assets with 34 full-service branches.
D. L. Evans lived by the principles of integrity, charity, friendliness, compassion, and hard work. D.L. Evans Bank directors and officers emulate these principles and encourage employees to do the same. While times have changed, the Bank has never lost sight of the founder's vision, “That banking is really just about one thing: helping people.” That is the strength of a family-owned community bank, meaningful, long-term relationships.
For more than 115 years, D.L. Evans Bank has taken pride in helping families grow and prosper. Headquartered in Burley, with branch offices in Albion, Ammon, Blackfoot, Boise, Burley, Caldwell, Eagle, Fruitland, Hailey, Idaho Falls, Jerome, Ketchum, Kimberly, Logan, Meridian, Nampa, Paul, Pocatello, Rexburg, Rigby, Rupert, South Ogden, Tremonton, and Twin Falls, we have truly become the community bank of choice.