Small business beginnings
A pioneering group of southern Idaho businessmen founded D. L. Evans Bank on September 15, 1904, in Albion, Idaho. Located in a one-story frame building, it was Cassia County's first bank. State Senator D. L. Evans called the first stockholders meeting to order and the stockholders elected the bank's first directors and officers. D. L. Evans was elected President; A. Lounsbury, Vice President; and J. A. Givens, Treasurer and Cashier. The directors were D. L. Evans, L. L. Evans, and W. G. Jenkins, all of Malad City, Idaho, and Judge Drew W. Standrod of Pocatello, Idaho. The bank was capitalized with $25,000.
Communities developed in the following years, and with more people, the demand for bank services grew. In 1910, the bank moved to a two story stone building in Albion, where it stayed for 60 years. The recession of the 1930s closed most banks in Idaho, but D. L. Evans Bank survived, continuing to provide customers with essential services. In 1970 the Albion branch moved to its current location, a modern building on the corner of Market and Main street. (The bank has since moved its headquarters to Burley, Idaho.)
The Burley branch opened in 1979, with John V. Evans, Jr., a great-grandson of the founder, as Manager. On December 31, 1986, he became Chief Executive Officer and announced that his father, then Governor of Idaho, John V. Evans Sr., would join the bank as President after his term as Governor was completed. John, Sr., fondly known as "the Gov," held public office for more than 35 years. He ended his second term as Governor on January 5, 1987, having held the office for 10 years. His background in banking, farming, ranching, and government helped him lead D. L. Evans Bank into the 21st century. John V. Evans, Sr., served as President of D. L. Evans Bank until his passing in July 2014.
From 1904 to 1986, the Evans and Jenkins families of Malad were the bank's principal stockholders. D. L. Evans, Jr., G. L. Jenkins, and McKinley L. Jenkins were principal officers for over 60 years, from about 1915 until their deaths. After World War II, Roland T. Evans became Chairman of the Board; Don S. Evans, Sr. became chairman in 1976 and served as chairman until his passing in April, 2016. In 1986, the Evans family purchased the Jenkins' interest and assumed ownership and control of the bank.
Looking to the future
Today, two generations of the Evans family participate in the bank's daily operations and on the board of directors. John V. Evans, Jr., President and Chief Executive Officer leads the bank with the rest of the Executive Managers: John V. Evans, III, Executive Vice President of the Treasure Valley region; H. Scott Horsley, Executive Vice President and Chief Credit Officer; Brenda Sanford, Chief Administrative Officer; and Curtis Smith, Chief Financial Officer. The current Board of Directors includes Chairman Don S. Evans, Jr., John V. Evans, Jr., Larry L. Evans, Paula D. Evans, Martha Evans-Gilgen, Glen R. Kunau, Susan D. Evans-Scarlett, and David L. Evans, IV. Don S. Evans, Sr., served as Chairman of the Board of D. L. Evans Bank until his passing in April, 2016.
D. L. Evans Bank has expanded tremendously. We maintain the Hometown Community Bank spirit as we grow. The bank has grown more than $1.3 billion in assets with 29 full-service branches.
D. L. Evans lived by the principles of integrity, charity, friendliness, compassion, and hard work. D. L. Evans Bank directors and officers emulate these principles and encourage employees to do the same. While times have changed, the bank has never lost sight of the founder's vision, “That banking is really just about one thing: helping people.” That is the strength of a family-owned community bank, meaningful, long-term relationship.
For more than 112 years, D. L. Evans Bank has taken pride in helping Idaho's families grow and prosper. Our roots are firmly planted in Idaho and as a community bank with headquarters in Burley and branch offices in Albion, Ammon, Boise, Burley, Caldwell, Eagle, Fruitland, Hailey, Idaho Falls, Jerome, Ketchum, Meridian, Nampa, Paul, Pocatello, Rigby, Rupert, and Twin Falls, we have truly become "Idaho's Hometown Community Bank."