Local hometown communities are near to our heart because our founder was born and raised in a community that valued their local hometown businesses and people. David Lloyd Evans (D.L.) was born in 1854 in Brigham City, Utah, and was taught by his widowed pioneer mother, Winnefred (Gwen) Lloyd Roberts Evans, the importance of industry and hard work. His first job was herding the neighbor's dairy cows on the rugged Utah mountainsides every day. In 1871 he moved with his mother and two younger brothers to the Malad Valley in Idaho, where they homesteaded a 160-acre farm, breaking out the sagebrush by hand with grubbing hoes and then planting crops. Through the encouragement of their mother, D. L. and his younger brother, L. L., attended the local pioneer schools and were fine students. Eventually, both qualified to attend the University of Deseret in Salt Lake City, Utah and earned their teaching certificates in two years. The brothers then returned to Idaho, where they taught at Malad, Samaria, and Weston village schools for several years.
Being bright, energetic, and possessing the pioneer entrepreneurial spirit, the brothers formed a close family partnership that over the years led to the development of two Evans Cooperative Mercantile Stores (one in Malad City and the other in American Falls), several ranches and farms, and investments in thirteen pioneer Idaho and Utah banks. D.L. Evans Bank started as a small business and was capitalized with just $25,000 by a pioneering group of southern Idaho businessmen on September 15, 1904, in Albion, Idaho. Located in a one-story frame building, it was Cassia County's first bank, and while serving as a State Senator, D. L. Evans called the Bank’s first stockholders meeting to order.
Both brothers were public-spirited and served in numerous local public leadership positions, including the Idaho Legislature during its early statehood years. D. L. was first elected to the Idaho Territorial Legislature in 1882 at 28 years of age and became the Speaker of the Idaho House of Representatives in 1899. The brother’s sense of service lives on in one of the Bank’s core values, Commitment to Community.
As the communities in Idaho and Utah grew and developed over the years, the demand for bank services grew right along with them. In 1910, the Bank moved to a two-story stone building in Albion, Idaho, where it stayed for 60 years. The recession of the 1930s closed most banks in Idaho, but D.L. Evans Bank survived and continued to provide customers with essential services. In 1970 the Albion branch moved to a modern building on Market and Main Street. The Bank has since moved its headquarters to Burley, Idaho, but the current location of the Albion branch is still the building on Market and Main Street.
The Burley branch opened in 1979, with John V. Evans, Jr., a great-grandson of the founder, as Manager. On December 31, 1986, he became Chief Executive Officer and announced that his father, then Governor of Idaho, John V. Evans Sr., would join the Bank as President after his term as Governor was completed. John Sr., fondly known as "the Gov," held public office for more than 35 years, ending his second term as Governor on January 5, 1987, having held the office for ten years. His background in banking, farming, ranching, and government helped him lead D.L. Evans Bank into the 21st century. This rich history in farming and ranching means the Bank understands the importance of agriculture to the communities we serve.
We know that local growth is the lifeblood of any community. From roots to returns, we are ready to roll up our sleeves and ensure that you have the best option for your business needs. To help with growth, we offer a variety of products to assist you every step of the way. Our lending specialists are local, and they know local, creating an unmatched level of trust.
Looking to the Future
Today, two generations of the Evans family participate in the Bank's daily operations and on the board of directors. John V. Evans, Jr., President, and John V. Evans, III, Chief Executive Officer, lead the Bank with the rest of the Executive Management team: Jim Evans, Chief Lending Officer; Brenda Sanford, Chief Operating Officer; and Curtis Smith, Chief Financial Officer. The current Board of Directors includes Chairman Don S. Evans, Jr., John V. Evans, Jr., Larry L. Evans, Martha E. Gilgen, Susan D. Evans-Scarlett, David L. Evans, IV, Don S. Evans, III and Larry L. Evans, Jr.
D.L. Evans Bank has expanded tremendously throughout the years, alongside the communities it serves. The Bank has grown to more than $2.9 billion in assets with 38 full-service branches. Yet, we maintain the hometown community bank spirit as we grow and understand that without our communities, we wouldn’t be successful.
D. L. Evans lived by the principles of integrity, charity, friendliness, compassion, and hard work. D.L. Evans Bank directors and officers emulate these principles and encourage employees to do the same. While times have changed, the Bank has never lost sight of the founder's vision — That banking is about one thing: helping people. This is the strength of a family-owned community bank — meaningful, long-term relationships.
Since 1904, D.L. Evans Bank has taken pride in helping families grow and prosper. Headquartered in Burley, with branch offices in Albion, Ammon, Bellevue, Blackfoot, Boise, Brigham City, Burley, Caldwell, Eagle, Fruitland, Hailey, Idaho Falls, Jerome, Ketchum, Kimberly, Layton, Logan, Meridian, Murray, Nampa, Paul, Pocatello, Rexburg, Rigby, Rupert, South Ogden, Tremonton, and Twin Falls, we have become the community bank of choice.